2016/10/06

Cell-shaded 01 (not the most original title - but it's quite an accurate one)

After painting Geralt I wanted to paint something quickly. 
To make a speedpainting. To force all the knowledge I acquired during painting him out of my head. 
Basically I wanted to put my skill to the test - not to hard, but still a test.

I'm not the fastest man alive when it comes to rendering, so I limited myself to 3 hours. 
Technically it's not a real speedpainting (real one goes on for like 30 to 120 minutes), but it's fast enough for me.

Of course it wouldn't be challenging enough, so I decided to make it in a way I've never tried before. 

Cell-shading or Cel-shading it is.
I'm no quite sure which name is proper, 'cause both has some kind of logic behind them...
Cell - because shadow and lights are formed in some kind of cells;
Cel - because that kind of colouring is frequently used in animation, and cel itself is a semi-transparent sheet of paper used by animators (not exclusively), for redrawing frames in traditional animation (at least from what I know).


Any ways here's the end result:


And here you got entire process:



Entire process is like: 
-sketch, 
-flat colours, 
-shadows, 
-main light, 
-skylight, 
-speculars, 
-some smearing and soft round brush edge work,
-blur on the edges of the paining (to keep the focus just on her/his (didn't decide yet) face).



Things I like:
-shininess of her (already decided) jacket,
-colours,
-composition (simple shapes),
-process (relatively fast and simple).

Things I don't like:
-bottom part of her face,
-hair (too much noise, to low amount of actual details),
-sketchiness (for a given time it could be better),



I ended up roughly after 3,5 hours so I cheated a bit, and even 'tho the effect is not that good.
Speed is not my thing. Yet.
I mean most of the time I spent walking circles in my room and thinking what I want to eat for a dinner :D



Hope it helped (somewhat, I'm not sure how it possibly could :D),
So long