2016/03/22

Not so steel

Do you remember when I said all my stuff ends up in that far-from-being-finished stage?

I've got another one of these, and SPOILER ALLERT - it doesn't look good.

Here is my miserable process. Enjoy, and do not repeat my mistakes.

1. Sketched that guy in my organizer from 2012... Has lines, is outdated, but the paper it's made of is great. Then I added the earpads (I believe that's how they're called), and some highlights digitally.


2. Added some basic colours and started to paint over the sketch.


3. And here's the moment I decided I don't like what I see... So I scrapped that, blurred, and stuff.


4. I drew plains of the nose, paint over it, and did the same thing to cheekbone.


5. Darkened up entire image to bring up some lights. Also I painted that ball to keep in mind where from the light comes and what's the colour of his skin, tho' I didn't use it even once.


6. ...and I scraped everything once more. If you don't like it - scrap it and redraw. I think that's the main reason I have nothing to share with you.


7. Darkened up one side of his face (or rather something that supposed to be his face), and lightened up background, to make him pop-out more from the background and give myself some values to play with. Oh...


8. Scrapped it once more. Brought greyscale again, to not get distracted by colours. Drew it again with planes of the face, to have something to follow later. I thing at this point I've started using references. Made his skull more prominent. He seemed a bit to chubby in earlier versions.


9. Added some flats for armour, earpads and that horn thingy on his head.


10. Sorry about the "how to draw an owl - tutorial" syndrome, but I forgot to save all the steps. I just painted in some shadows on another layer.


11. Brought the colours again by adding some gradient-map layers for skin, earpads, armour, and horn.


13. Painted in some lights. Same problem as I had with shadows. No step by step images.


14. I was so tired of repainting that over and over again, I just simply added a muddy background, some rim-light, and called it done. I mean not really done. Just done.


And here's .gif presenting my journey through the dark valley of hell.



By the way. That's one of the champions that you can play in Paragon. Man's name is Steel.

That's it.
So long.