2017/05/27

Sci-fi pilot - Day 4


I need a coffee and a break. Not a long one. 30 minutes is good enough. 



I'm done with that all pilot thingy. It's rigged, textured and all, so you can expect next part tomorrow. 



Later today I got planned some normal maps studies and tomorrow I want to wrap my head around morphing and shape keys in blender, because using morphing cage is unusable in Unreal Engine 4.
I exported that as *.fbx, opened UE4 project and got angry with myself. 
I haven't took into a count as simple and obvious thing that the morphing cage not working in UE4 because of its modifiers. 
I knew that from the beginning. I brainfarted so much that I almost laughed when I saw the raw version of my model in UE4.

Well the good thing is that I know where I've f***ed up. At least I tried.

Any ways that's what I got at the end of day 4:



Some extra pads, and sachets.


And here's where the fun part begins.
For you it's just a small colour change, but the change was kind of big on my side.
I unwrapped entire model and put some flat colours on it. 
What it basically means is: 
I cut that into pieces, flatten the shit out of it, painted flat colours on 2D image and applied to 3D model. Piece by piece, clip by clip, strap by strap...


As I changed it almost completely the very next day I don't have that version of UV layout or texture.
I'll show you what I'm talking about tomorrow. 


Now I have for you few GIFs.


Here's simple rotator of a helemet. The blackness on her earpad and respirator was caused by flipped normals. They flipped automatically after applying the mirror modifier.
Easy fix for that was to enter and quit edit mode. I haven't even had to recalculate normals which is nice.


Here's how it looked right before UV unwrapping and texturing.


And here's a wacky little animation that I used to check clipping and stuff like that. 
I started rigging right after I finished with unwrapping so it's early stage of that process. 
It's my first animation ever made using bones (except that rotator from anatomy sculpture but that was just a root bone rotation) so it's not even close to be good but it serves its purpose.
Oh and that weird flickering on the ground was caused by not having enough geometry on that plane.
Scaling it down (and later scaling it up again but with more subdivisions) solved the problem.



As I mentioned earlier I'm using morphing cage and mesh deform modifier and my cage is not accurate. That's why those hands are distorting with every move she makes. I really have to get into these shape keys...



To avoid the distortion on hard surfaces such as a helmet and accessories I vertex parented them to her body. 
"What does it mean?" you ask. Well... I basically stapled them to her body with tiny triangular staples :D 

ouch

If any of therms I use is for you unknown... google it. Really. It's not a rocket science,
and trust me - you really, REALLY don't want me to teach you that :D

Not yet at least. Maybe in few years.

The coffee break's over...
That's it,
So long